Knitting

Some experimental knitting

eveli-sinivalge-2Usually, when I start knitting, I always calculate all my stitches, increases and decreases and plan quite precisely. I just don’t like to rip too much. But this cardigan was an exception. I started this a year ago and the main reason was to use up this yarn that took too much room in my stash.

eveli-sinivalge-7I did knit a swatch to test the stripes but that was it. I just started knitting from first sleeve and stopped in the middle of back. I then knitted the second half.

Then autumn came and I packed the wip and started some winter knitting. But this spring I decided to finish this wip, because stashed wip is even more disturbing than stashed yarn.

eveli-sinivalge-10
eveli-sinivalge-11

But then came a lot of knitting and ripping – the lower part of the cardigan, the front and bottom garter stitch band, the pockets, adjusting the sleeve length and knitting garter stitch bands etc. I did every part at least twice – but that is the price of experimenting. It is fun but you shouldn’t mind ripping :) It was quite refreshing to experiment this way, but next time I will plan better (I have done it already, my next cardigan is blocking right now).

Can you see a little sashiko I made with my jeans?

Can you see a little sashiko I made with my jeans?

eveli-sinivalge-3eveli-sinivalge-8

And then, when I thought that it is finally completed I found out, that with the first breeze the fronts of my cardigan fly inside out. So I had to sew in some weights. I used some heavy metal balls that I sewed in using some cotton bias tape. I hope that now it is completed :)

img_4204

eveli-sinivalge-5

Linden blossom double mittens

I started my new year with mitten knitting. It is becoming a tradition to start the new year this way.

Maibriti kindad-1

First, I decided to knit fair isle mittens, but my daughter wished to have solid colour ones, so I casted on new ones. When my daughter saw the knitting motif, she immediately named this “linden blossom” :) In the Encyclopedia of Knitting, the motif is called “bouquet”.

Maibriti kindad-12

Yarn: Hjertegarn Alpaca Silk (100 g)

Needles: 2 mm dpns

Maibriti kindad-15

As we live in quite cold climate and it is often windy, I decided to knit the mittens with lining. So I picked up sts from the rib (which I already had knitted double the length with folding line), decreased 2 sts and knitted the lining. My daughter likes her new mittens a lot!

Ravelry link.

Maibriti kindad-3
Maibriti kindad-5

IMG_3103 2

Maibriti kindad-11

Maibriti kindad-18Maibriti kindad-17

 

Some knitting for my daughter

IMG_5686

 

This photo is taken eight years ago when I was attempting knitting Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Fair Isle Yoke Cardigan (link to  the original post in Estonian). But in the process of knitting a swatch and counting stitches something went wrong and I ended up with an extremely snug cardigan. I was planning to unravel it and knit it again, but it took me eight years. Clearly, unravelling is not my favourite thing :)

Maibriti kampsun 2016-5
Maibriti kampsun 2016-4

But actually it was a good thing as now I had to unravel only the yoke and some of the sleeve length. Because now it fits my daughter. First I planned to knit it for  my son, but it was too snug for him and therefore my daughter got it for herself. I wasn’t feeling like knitting the fair isle yoke again, so it came out really boring and plain, yet practical,  pullover. But I am so happy that I got this thing out of my stash!

Maibriti kampsun 2016-1
Maibriti kampsun 2016-2

Maibriti kampsun 2016-3

Maibriti kindad 2016-9
Maibriti kindad 2016-1

Then I knitted mittens for Maibrit as she really needed a pair. I am not a huge fan of knitting mittens nor fair isle knitting, but when I finally get going I quite like it. I chose Rowan “Felted Tweed” (purple) and “Fine Tweed” (mustard “leyburn” and petrol Nidd) from my stash and I really really love those yarns! I haven’t knitted mittens for a while and therefore I made a mistake by knitting the space between the cuff and thumb too short. Next time I will do better. But these mittens are warm and that is the most important thing (you see our weather from the photos). Ravelry link.

Maibriti kindad 2016-3
Maibriti kindad 2016-8

Maibriti kindad 2016-5

 

Maibrit also needed a new hat to go with her new jacket. I chose my favourite cable pattern from my Manti cardigan pattern (or from my Elfi hat pattern) and used leftover yarn (Katia Peru). I casted on 70 sts using tubular cast-on and knitted 1×1 rib for 4 rows. Then I increased the stitches to 92 to be able to knit 4 repeat of the pattern. After I had worked first half of the second diamond, I started to decrease the purled stitches. Easy. I like yarn pom-pom, but Maibrit chose a fur one for her hat. I also  lined the hat with cotton jersey as we live in quite windy and cold climate. Ravely link.

Maibriti müts 2016-3

Maibriti müts 2016-6

Maibriti müts 2016-5